My Fish are Man-Eating >:D

Thursday, March 3, 2011

CyberARTS Video on Trial: The Good and The Horrible

This is CyberARTS: Video on Trial. Where we dissect "the good" and the "just horrible" of music videos chosen...by me.

Case#1: The first video that I pick to be cut to ribbions was The Best I Ever Had by Drake. Don't get me wrong, I liked the song, but I just don't think at all that the video matched the subject matter. The lyrics show that he's talking about his girlfriend yet somehow that translates to a girls basketball game...ok sure. A follow-up to the first point that I made is the fact that because the video doesn't match the song, there's no cohearent story present in the video, therefore, it felt like visual choices made for the video were not there for artistic vision. I find Best I Ever Had guilty of of having no artistic vision, and making a mis-matched music video which has nothing to do with the song.

Case#2: This would be an example of a good music video...or at the very least good compared to the previous video. Grenade by Bruno Mars was a good video because it followed a cohearent story, the video matched the song's subject matter and lastly, what you're seeing in the video is there to make a point. I find Grenade innocent on the ground of having a proper artistic vision.

That's all for this week see you soon.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting your videos on trial.
    I'd have to agree with you on both verdicts.
    You're right, not much justification for showing a girl's basketball team!

    In the case of #2 Clearly a much more meaningful video. What do you think about the image of him dragging a piano? Interesting...

    ReplyDelete