My Fish are Man-Eating >:D

Monday, March 22, 2010

Technical and Artistic Reflection.

Hi readers. So finally I finished my typography assignment. Which also means the Typography unit is finishing. So in a previous blog entry, I think I touched on what I did fro my typography, well now I'm going more in depth about it...almost reflecting on it..O.O...

Anyway, my Kinetic Typography assignment was called Jack's Persuation.Looking back I probably could've chosen a better name but it is what it is. The medium I got the audio from was Pirates of the Caribbean Deadman's Chest. It was the part where Jack does what Jack does best, he smooth talks his way out of his problems.He manages to persuade Former Commodore Norringtion into ditching the key to Davy Jones' heart to fight Will Turner. To make my Typography I use Flash MX.

I used several layers during this assignment(Eight to be exact).I also switched to different fonts through out the assignment as well as different backgrounds. Even though it took very long, feel that the time that I put in was worth it in the end. As a class I think we learned a few cool thing to pull off some of the complicated technical stuff that we did.I am happy with my work.

I don't think there is a specific part of the assignment that I didn't like. I think I put a good amount of time into and I think it shows. Our teacher did show me a few things like how to adjust the alpha of an image. Personally, I don't think mine is as good as some of my classmates or the others that you might see. Although this is a very time consuming process I think that it shows that I put the time and effort in by the quality of my work. Sadly my only regret is that I don't feel like I spent my time as effectively as I could've.

As for my design choices, the backgrounds for my stage change three times during the animation. In the beginning of the presentation Norington is speaking to Will saying "do excuse me while I kill the man who ruined my life" the background was purple but had a pattern kinda blended into the purple. Purple was a very regal colour in England. Iwas was also coupled with a fancy font with a pinkish read colour. Because Norington was a very important man, choosing a regal colour seem like a good idea. Choosing a dingy colour would've worked as well since he is now disgraced.For Will, because he was a blacksmith I had a stoney background coupled with a kind of stoney font. For Jack Sparrow, I gave his background a ripped, tattered, parchment look with a bit of blood spalatter on the top for effect. It was also coupled with a kind of scratchy hand written font.
What I found difficult was the course of the animation it's self. One I got the hang of it, the animation wasn't that difficult. The next problem I experienced was chosing the backgrounds. Solid colours where too plain to do the job right so I then had to think even deeper. With the deeper thought process and advice from our teacher, I did end up using patterns in addition to using solid colours to make the background more interesting.
That's it for my reflection.Thanks for reading. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment